Paying attention to the way your car smells can help you detect when there is an issue brewing. There are certain distinct smells which can arise that can indicate there might be something wrong with a component in your vehicle. If the scent is persistence and happens every time that you drive, you may want to get your vehicle inspected as soon as you can.
Being aware of vehicle issues before they progress further can help you avoid having to deal with a car breakdown or added repairs. Some scents can indicate more serious issues, while others are repairs that are needed but not as severe. Here are some of the smells to look out for and what they can indicate:
- Burnt Rubber - burnt rubber typically indicates an issue with a belt or drive pulley. This should be inspected quickly because a belt issue can quickly turn into a vehicle that won't run.
- Gasoline - a smell of gasoline can point to a gas leak in the fuel system, such as a fuel injector line or the fuel tank. This not only is a fire hazard, but means that your engine isn't running efficiently and you're losing precious gas you paid for.
- Syrup - a sweet syrupy smell can indicate an engine coolant leak, which can be extremely detrimental to the health of your vehicle's engine. Without coolant, your engines temperature won't be properly regulated and engine overheating can quickly occur. This can lead to severe engine damage, and definitely is something you want to avoid.
- Rotten Eggs - the smell of yucky rotten eggs is an indication of a catalytic converter issue, because it means that sulfuric gases aren't being converted correctly. This can cause performance issues for your engine and can cause you to fail emissions testing.
- Hot Oil - a hot oil smell can indicate that oil is leaking into your vehicle's exhaust system. Engine oil is important for lubrication, so you definitely want to get this taken care of as soon as possible.
- Burning Carpet - a burning carpet smell typically indicates a brake system issue, and should be addressed quickly.
These are just some of the most common smells to pay attention to, but if you smell anything else strange while on the road, don't hesitate to get your vehicle into the experts here at Autobahn Auto Repair today!