Your vehicle’s brakes should always be in top working condition. If you ever notice a problem with your brakes, an inspection is recommended as soon as you can to avoid brake failure. One component of your vehicle’s brake system is the brake pads, which have the important job of helping the calipers make contact with the rotors, and therefore stopping or slowing down your vehicle.
The brake pads will eventually wear down over time due to friction, which is why they need to be replaced at certain intervals. If your vehicle’s brake pads need to be replaced, you may notice one or more of the following symptoms:
- A squealing or screeching noise can indicate that the brake pads need to be replaced. This can signify that there is metal to metal contact happening with the brakes.
- A clicking noise can also mean that your brake pads need to be inspected. A clicking noise while braking is usually an indication that the brake pads are loose.
- If you notice a lack in performance, or that it takes longer for your car to come to a stop than it has before, then your brake pads may be worn out.
- If you notice that your vehicle nose dives to one side while braking, this can indicate uneven wear on your brake pads.
- The brake pedal vibration while braking can also indicate a glazing problem with the brake pads that can happen when the binding resin gets onto the rotors.
As soon as you notice any of the signs listed above, don’t hesitate to bring your vehicle into Autobahn Auto Repair for an inspection. We will be happy to check it out and determine if new brake pads are needed, or if there is another issue at play.